Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Achargary

Cairn(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Achargary

Classification Cairn(S) (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 6308

Site Number NC75SW 2

NGR NC 7198 5490

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/6308

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Farr
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NC75SW 2 7198 5490.

('A': NC 7198 5490 and 'B': NC 7203 5486) Cairns (NR)

OS 6"map, (1964)

Two heavily robbed cairns, of which only stony rims remain. 'A' is 11m in diameter and 'B' 15m.

RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909; Visited by OS (J L D) 3 May 1960.

Cairns 'A' and 'B' are on the old river terrace at the west side of the River Naver.

'A' is completely turf-covered. It is visible as a platform measuring 12.5m NE-SW by 11.5m with a peripheral, ragged ridge of rubble 0.2m high and 1.5m spread.

'B' is a stony mound adopting a level stance and measuring approximately 15.5m diameter; the body content is low and much disturbed. Intruding in the west sector is a circular depression.

Revised at 1:10,000.

Visited by OS (J M) 25 June 1977.

NC 7198 5489 Circular enclosure/?cairn A (NC75SW 2). The middle of the three 'cairns' already recorded, this feature comprises a circular earth bank, 1m wide and variable in height from 0.1-0.3m, enclosing an area with an internal diameter of 9m. There may be an entrance in the SE.

Full report deposited in Highland SMR

Sponsor: NOSAS

M Marshall 2002

NC 7202 5486 Circular enclosure/?cairn B (NC75SW 2). This circular enclosure, 12m in diameter, on top of a knoll has been much degraded by stone robbing. It appears to have some form of fortification surrounding it. The natural ground drops away steeply to the N and NE, and a man-made ditch on the W and S enhance it on these sides. The ditch is 1.5m deep and forms an arc to the SW of the knoll, finishing abruptly at its S end. The outer earth bank is roughly 35m long, 0.7m high and may have been formed of the upcast material from the ditch. Thus, the structure is well protected, leaving only a stretch 20m wide to the SE opening onto flat pasture land. A possible interpretation of this feature is that of an unfinished broch or 'moated homestead' (NC75NW 14 situated 500m to the NW).

Full report deposited in Highland SMR

Sponsor: NOSAS

M Marshall 2002

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions