Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Craighlaw

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Craighlaw

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Craighlaw Castle; Craichlaw House

Canmore ID 62991

Site Number NX36SW 4

NGR NX 30636 61091

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/62991

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Kirkcowan
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Wigtown
  • Former County Wigtownshire

Archaeology Notes

NX36SW 4 30636 61091

(NX 3063 6109) Craighlaw (NR).

OS 1:10000 map (1982)

Craighlaw Castle, which is listed as "much-altered" by Tranter, has been partly rebuilt and is incorporated in a Victorian mansion. It was a rectangular keep of early 16th century date (SDD List 1955) with external rounded angles, and walls in the basement varying from 5'4" to 7'6" in thickness. The basement has been covered by a high barrel vault. The upper part of the castle is a 19th century reconstruction.

RCAHMS 1912, visited 1911; N Tranter 1965

The tower is generally as described. It has been extensively rebuilt, with a modern entrance in the NW side.

Visited by OS (TRG) 7 July 1976

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

ARCHITECT: Wardrop & Brown 1864 & 1866 - large scale additions.

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Capenoch

Wardrop & Brown plans.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions