Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Barnbarroch

Country House (18th Century)

Site Name Barnbarroch

Classification Country House (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Barnbarroch House

Canmore ID 62894

Site Number NX35SE 9

NGR NX 39955 51426

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/62894

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Kirkinner
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Wigtown
  • Former County Wigtownshire

Archaeology Notes

NX35SE 9.00 39800 51587

NX35SE 9.01 39805 51539 Stables

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

BUILT: c.1780

ARCHITECT: J.C. Louden 1806 - additions and lanscape garden.

BURNT: 1942. Information from Demolitions catalogue held in RCAHMS library.

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Mellon Collection

23 drawings for extending Barnbarroch, new range of offices, icehouse and gateways. 1806

Site Management (12 June 1990)

Original house built 1780, later additions and remodelling John Claudius Loudon, 1806. House now a roofless shell following a fire in 1942. Rubble-built with finely fressed granite quoins and margins. Original part: 2-storey, basement and attic, classical house. Symmetrical elevations: 3-3-3 bays to entrance elevation; 2-2-2 to garden front. Entrance front with 3-window bows to outer bays, all single light windows. Steps to central doorway. The Loudon remodelling included changing floor levels and the reworking of the main door. This was given a projecting pedimented porch supported on pillars, architraved doorpiece with blind heraldic panel above. All single light windows. Remains of pedimented attic windows to centre at N and SW wing added in 1805: 2-storey and attic single bay addition. Rubble with finely dressed granite quoins, margins and band courses. To S elevation, full-height polished cream sandstone projecting bay with 3-light window. Balustraded parapet with ball finials to eaves. Eaves cornice, tall corniced end and axial stacks, some octagonal cans.

Mistakenly called Barnbarrow - Loudon's error. Loudon, though primarly an architectural writer and landscape gardener, did undertake a few architectural commissions early in his career, Barnbarroch is important as one of the few surviving examples of his work. Loudon also laid out the grounds surrounding Barnbarroch for the Vaus-Agnew family. (Historic Scotland)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions