Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).


Cup And Ring Marked Rock (Prehistoric)

Site Name Knock

Classification Cup And Ring Marked Rock (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Monreith House Policies

Canmore ID 62813

Site Number NX34SE 7

NGR NX 3648 4052

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map


Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Glasserton
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Wigtown
  • Former County Wigtownshire

Archaeology Notes

NX34SE 7 3648 4052

For Monreith House (NX 35577 42864) and associated buildings, see NX34SE 55.00.

(NX 3648 4052) Cup & Ring Marked Rock (NR)

OS 6" map (1957)

There is a cup and ring marked rock in the field E of Clarksburn Wood. The field was in crop when visited, and the particular rock could not be identified.

RCAHMS 1912, visited 1911

Morris, apparently erroneously, quoting the above as a sub-authority, states 14 cup and ring marks, now possibly turfed over, were found in 1911. However, he did find 2 cup-and-two-rings marks, one near the top of a rocky hillock, the other, deeper-cut but chipped, near its foot, 25 yds E of the wall between the field and Clarksburn Wood.

R W B Morris and D C Bailey 1967

Airey states that the rock referred to by the RCAHMS is a flat rock, 4' x 3', c.1' above ground level, adjoining the Clarksburn Wood boundary wall. It is sculptured with 5 concentric circles, 10" in overall diameter.

A F Airey 1962

The rock described by Airey was the only one located in this area. This rock bears one cup with 5 concentric rings and traces of 3 other cups although all are very much weathered.

Resurveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (IA) 29 January 1973


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions