Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Airyolland, Manor House

Manor House (Medieval)

Site Name Airyolland, Manor House

Classification Manor House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 62750

Site Number NX34NW 9

NGR NX 30790 47478

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/62750

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Mochrum
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Wigtown
  • Former County Wigtownshire

Archaeology Notes

NX34NW 9 30790 47478

(NX 30790 47478) Manor House (NR) (Remains of)

OS 6" map (1957)

This publication appeared on the authority of Mr Borthwick, who stated that "the ruin of the old house of Airyolland is on the S side of the road a few yards from the present farmhouse".

Information from W S Borthwick letter, 19 February 1951

M'Kerlie states that Airyolland belonged to the Dunbars, and passed to the Vans family in 1583. It is listed as one of the principal houses in the parish by Symson.

P H M'Kerlie 1870; W Macfarlane 1907

NX 3079 4748 The remains of this house stand in a pasture field and comprise a 7.0m high, 7.2m long and 1.2m thick wall with a first floor window and the relieving arch of a blocked fireplace at ground level. Wall footings can be traced extending for 6.0m north-westwards; these have been partially utilised as foundations for a small modern enclosure.

This ruin appears to have been a substantial dwelling possibly of 16th/17th century origin. A 1655 datestone which may have come from this building is incorporated in the gable end of a farm outbuilding at NX 3084 4757.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (BS) 17 May 1977

One unroofed building of two compartments, which is annotated as Ruin, is depicted on the 1st edition of the 6-inch map (Wigtonshire 1850, sheet 28) and on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1983) where only the SE portion of the building is shown.

Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 20 December 1999

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions