Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Carlin Stone

Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Site Name Carlin Stone

Classification Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 62702

Site Number NX34NW 10

NGR NX 3255 4971

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/62702

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Mochrum
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Wigtown
  • Former County Wigtownshire

Archaeology Notes

NX34NW 10 3255 4971.

(NX 3255 4971) Carlin Stone (NR).

OS 6" map (1957)

The "Carlin Stone" is a pointed standing stone, 5'6" in height, 3' broad at base, and facing E-W. It is said to have stood in the centre of a circle, 12' in diameter, formed of granite stones, used for building a dyke. This latter statement is confirmed by the ONB, which states that around the Carlin Stone are five others of granite forming a circle a few yards in diameter. It bears a considerable resemblance to a circle at Torhouse (presumably the "Standing Stones of Torhouse": NX35NE 14) but is not so complete.

RCAHMS 1912, visited 1911; Name Book 1848

The standing stone, 1.7m high has a triangular base which tapers to a point at the top, and is inclined 15 from the vertical in a northerly direction. The base measures 0.8m, 0.8m by 0.4m, with the shorter side facing south. The stone stands in a field of growing wheat and there is now no evidence to support the view that it was part of a stone circle. Resurveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (TRG) 6 July 1976

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions