Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Sinniness Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Sinniness Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Canmore ID 62289

Site Number NX25SW 6

NGR NX 2153 5319

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Old Luce
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Wigtown
  • Former County Wigtownshire

Archaeology Notes

NX25SW 6 2153 5319.

(NX 2153 5319) Sinniness Castle (NR)

(Remains of)

OS 6" map (1957)

Only a fragment of Sinniness Castle now survives, in a very ruinous state, forming part of the farm steading. It has apparently been oblong on plan, 46' 6" N-S by 27' 6" over 3' thick walls. The ground floor has contained two vaulted cellars, filled with rubbish, above which were probably two storeys and an attic. Of the upper floors only the NE angle remains, 40' high.

The castle is said to have been built by Archibald Kennedy about the end of the 16th century, and its features are consistent with the style of that period.

Sinniness is first mentioned in a charter of 1562. It was still occupied in 1684, Symson describing it as "a good stone house".

A Symson 1684; P H M'Kerlie 1870; RCAHMS 1912, visited 1911.

All that now remains of Sinniness Castle (name verified) is its north east angle, which stands to a height of about 13.0m, and several large pieces of unattached masonry.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (BS) 26 April 1977.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions