Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Steeps Park, High Gillespie

Stone Circle (Neol/bronze Age)(Possible)

Site Name Steeps Park, High Gillespie

Classification Stone Circle (Neol/bronze Age)(Possible)

Alternative Name(s) Gillespie; Culquhasen

Canmore ID 62274

Site Number NX25SW 42

NGR NX 248 531

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/62274

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Old Luce
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Wigtown
  • Former County Wigtownshire

Archaeology Notes

NX25SW 42 248 531

In 1877 two large granite boulders stood in a field called Steeps Park at High Gillespie (NX 253 528). An old local informant said that there were formerly nine or ten of them in a circle, but in 1817, all but two were removed for building, and the last two were later moved to the field wall, out of the way of the plough. The site was near an old road running across Culquharen.

G Wilson 1899

High Gillespie is now a ruin and its land forms part of Gillespie Farm. The name Steeps Park is not known nor is there any knowledge of the stone circle or the whereabouts of the last two stones. Culquhasen is at NX 240 535 and it is probable that this site lay somewhere in the area NX 247 530.

Visited by OS (JP), 30 June 1976

At NX 248 531 are two rounded boulders, lying against the field dyke 300 yds N by E of the 'Black Cairn' (NX25SW 20). They are about 2ft 6ins to 2ft 9ins each way and 1ft thick, and may well be the two described by Wilson.

J Murray 1981.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions