Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Garliachen, Laigh Sinniness

Promontory Fort (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Garliachen, Laigh Sinniness

Classification Promontory Fort (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 62239

Site Number NX25SW 10

NGR NX 2157 5219

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/62239

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Old Luce
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Wigtown
  • Former County Wigtownshire

Archaeology Notes

NX25SW 10 2157 5219.

(NX 2157 5219) Garliachen (NAT)

Fort (NR)

OS 1:10000 map (1982)

Promontory fort: A promontory is bounded on the E by a glen running towards the farm, and on the S and W by cliffs. An earth-and-stone bank 6' - 7' in height runs across the landward end of the promontory, from the glen to the cliff on the opposite side. In front of this bank was a 15' wide ditch, now only visible at the E end. Within the bank, roughly parallel to it and 40' away, there has been erected a wall between points of outcropping rock, except to NW, where a gap has been left between two rocks for an entrance to the promontory. The wall, which seems to have been about 20' thick at base, is entirely broken down, and is represented by a mass of loose stones 40' wide between the central points of rock. The entrance has been at the W end. The interior measures 70' - 80' in length to seaward by 66' in breadth and the length of the frontage is about 200'. Against the outer face of the inner wall, near its E end, is a stony foundation 10' in diameter.

Wilson adds that he was informed by the farmer that the entrance in the NE was cut to give access to a road leading to the sea, and is not original.

G Wilson 1899; RCAHMS 1912, visited 1911.

A promontory fort generally as described above. The gap in the inner wall lines up with a gap (also between two outcrops) in the outer bank to form a well-defined entrance. Another gap in the east end of the bank is a later mutilation. The "stony foundation" at the east end of the inner wall is reduced almost to ground level and is impossible to classify. The name Garliachen could not be confirmed locally.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (BS) 4 May 1977.

Activities

Field Visit (28 September 1953)

Promontory Fort, Laigh Sinniness (Inventory No. 306).

There is nothing to add to the Inventory description. The chief interest of this fort is the association of a massive dry-stone inner wall (probably 15ft in thickness) with an outer earthen rampart.

Visited by RCAHMS (KA Steer) 28 September 1953.

Measured Survey (2003)

Surveyed and drawn by AOC Archaeology in 2003.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions