Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Green House Bridge

Burial Cairn (Period Unassigned), Cairn (Period Unassigned), Enclosure (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Green House Bridge

Classification Burial Cairn (Period Unassigned), Cairn (Period Unassigned), Enclosure (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 62201

Site Number NX25SE 11

NGR NX 2648 5105

NGR Description NX 2648 5105 and NX 2654 5112

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/62201

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Mochrum
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Wigtown
  • Former County Wigtownshire

Archaeology Notes

NX25SE 11 2648 5105.

(A: NX 2648 5105. B:NX 2654 5112) Cairns (NR).

OS 6" map (1957)

A: A large cairn measuring 45' N-S by 49' E-W and 9' in height. To the S, and partly formed by the cairn is an enclosure containing in the thickness of its wall one or two circular huts, and having another built against it near its junction with the cairn on the SSE.

B: The remains of a walled circular enclosure at the base of a rock which rises 12' above it on the W. The wall, standing 2' - 3' high on the SW, is 8'6" thick, and faced with large blocks of stone. The diameter is estimated at from 50' to 60'.

RCAHMS 1912, visited 1911

'A' A mutilated cairn 14.5m in diameter and 2.5m high. There are two relatively modern enclosures built against the S side of and with material from the cairn.

'B' NX 2653 5113 An enclosure generally as described by the RCAHMS. It has an internal diameter of 15.0m and has been destroyed on the N. Its age and nature are uncertain.

Cairn 'A' surveyed at 1:10 000.

Visited by OS (BS) 30 June 1976

No.214 in the RCAHMS Inventory (RCAHMS 1912) is described as an 'unexcavated' cairn, with small shelters formed from it. A large covered cist is now visible in the SE side of the cairn, overgrown with bracken, showing that it has been uncovered for some time. The coverstone is 4ft by 5ft and up to 1ft thick. The sidestones show 2ft of height, apparently as long as the coverstone. At the NE end is an upright slab between the sidestones; the fourth stone has slipped forward.

Visited by J Murray 1980 (MS/458)

Activities

Field Visit (1 March 2008 - 1 April 2011)

SRP field reconnaissance and mapping

Srp Note (4 July 2011)

‘Cairn A’ is much as described in 1980. Immedately S of the cairn is a semi-circular enclosure. 100m E of the cairn is a group of three clearance cairns and 20m NW is a single clearance cairn.

‘Cairn B’ is much as described in 1911. The enclosure wall is 2m wide and comprises a double line of orthostats with rubble infill. It does not survive to the N. The width of the wall and the orthost and rubble construction style suggests that this might be a small - possibly unfinished - homesttead enclosure. There is a shallow hollow in the NE interior and two further hollows to the E and just outside the projected arc of the enclosure wall; these hollows may be borrow pits associated with construction and maintenance of the adjacent trackway.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions