Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Achcheargary

Chambered Cairn (Neolithic)

Site Name Achcheargary

Classification Chambered Cairn (Neolithic)

Alternative Name(s) Achargary

Canmore ID 6217

Site Number NC75NW 16

NGR NC 7194 5500

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/6217

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Farr
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NC75NW 16 7194 5500

See also NC75NW 16.

(NC 7194 5500) Chambered Cairn (NR)

OS 6" map, (1964)

A large round cairn, measuring some 77ft N-S and 70ft E-W. The top has been removed, exposing somewhat to the N of centre, three slabs, apparently the end and sides of a chamber which does not appear to have been cleared out. The length of the chamber from E to W, as far as exposed, is 7ft and its width about 5ft. One stone protrudes about 1ft 2ins at the E end, and the upper portion of one is visible on each side. That on the N has been slightly displaced. The present height of the cairn is about 7ft.

RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.

A round, chambered cairn further disturbed and robbed since 1909, but two slabs are still visible in the centre, though only one appears to be in situ.

A S Henshall 1963, visited 1957.

This chambered cairn has been reduced to a grass-covered mound, 22m in diameter and 0.5m high on the north and 2m high on the south, with a few scattered stone protruding. The chamber is indicated by the tops of two slabs.

Visited by OS (J L D) 3 May 1960.

No change to previous field report.

Visited by OS (J B) 15 Decembr 1978.

Scheduled (with NC71NW 19) as Achargary, chambered cairn and ring cairns.

(The latter extend onto map sheet NC71SW).

Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 27 January 2003.

NC 7198 5490 The site, which lies on a fluvio-glacial terrace on the W side of Strathnaver, is enclosed and used for grazing sheep. The three main features have been previously interpreted as cairns and are situated on knolls overlooking the floodplain of the river. There are a number of other cairns and small enclosures which may be burial or clearance sites, and the footings of a longhouse with associated earth walls. Some of the stonework from the sites may have been robbed in order to construct a substantial wall enclosing a field on the lower valley floor nearby.

NC 7194 5500 Cairn (NC75NW 16). A natural knoll which has been enhanced to form a central cairn, identified by a scattering of stones over an area with a diameter of 24m. Three large flat elongated stone slabs provide evidence of a chamber.

Full report deposited in Highland SMR

Sponsor: NOSAS

M Marshall 2002

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions