Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Carscreugh Castle

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Carscreugh Castle

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Carsecreugh

Canmore ID 62147

Site Number NX25NW 1

NGR NX 22323 59891

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/62147

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Old Luce
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Wigtown
  • Former County Wigtownshire

Archaeology Notes

NX25NW 1 22323 59891

(NX 2232 5990) Carscreugh Castle (NR) (rems of)

OS 1:10000 map (1979)

The remains of Carscreugh Castle which has consisted of a central block four storeys and an attic in height with square flanking towers at the NW and SW angles and a rounded stair tower in the southern re-entrant angle. The two southern towers still stand to the wall-head and the west and south walls of the north tower stand 15' high but the east and north walls are gone, and of the central block only a fragment of the west wall remains. It is about 3'6" high and is now the boundary wall of a cottage garden. Two E-W running mounds may be the remains of a cross-walls. The foundation date of the castle is not known although it appears to have been of some importance in the mid-16th century. It was rebuilt in rubble masonry in 1668 by Lord Stair who occupied it until his death in 1695 when it was allowed to fall into ruin.

RCAHMS 1912, visited 1911; A S Morton 1936

NX 2232 5990 The remains of this castle are as described in the previous information. The name was confirmed as Carscreugh Castle.

Surveyed at 1:10 000.

Visited by OS (BS) 23 June 1976

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions