Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Unst, Uyeasound, Greenwell's Booth

Storehouse (17th Century)

Site Name Unst, Uyeasound, Greenwell's Booth

Classification Storehouse (17th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Uyeasound Harbour; Dutch Quoy Of Sound

Canmore ID 62

Site Number HP50SE 40

NGR HP 59201 01081

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/62

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Shetland Islands
  • Parish Unst
  • Former Region Shetland Islands Area
  • Former District Shetland
  • Former County Shetland

Archaeology Notes

HP50SE 40 59201 01081

For (adjacent) Uyeasound Harbour (HP 592 011), see HP50SE 34.

This building remains roofless and disused. An information board in front of it (to the E) records:

'Greenwells Booth

All that is known thus far, largely extracted from the register of Sasines:

1646 William Bruce of Sumburgh sold William Bruce his "natural" brother a tenement (an area of land) at the south side of Uyeasound "on the west part of the Quoy, commonly called the Dutch Quoy of Sound, separated by a dyke from the lands of Ronan, Gardie and Umboth"

1646-1705 Booth probably constructed

1705 Laurence Bruce of Sumburgh sold to James Scott of Voesgarth, the booth and two yards possessed by the deceased William Bruce, Merchant at Uyeasound, and the booth sometime possessed by Derek Kuning, Merchant in Bremen. (The second booth is probably in the Clivocast area).

1745 Andrew Scott of Grenwell gave his son John a booth at Uyeasound.

1756 'Greenwell Booth' appears as a boundary mark in a land transaction (confirming the reference of 1646).

1826 James Ogilvie had been served as heir to Andrew Scott of Greenwell and [illegible] of the things transferred was a booth at Uyeasound.

1828 William Mouat of Garth bought the booth from James Ogilvie of Stove, who was also known as James Ogilvie of Greenwell.

1856 The booth was leased by Hay & Co. from Captain Thomas Cameron.

1856-1981 Nothing known except one of the walls collapsed and the building fell into a dangerous state of repair.

1930's The photograph [reproduced on the information board] opposite was taken.

1981 Booth in the ownership of Mr. John Scott of Bressay.

1982 Property donated to the S.I.C. [Shetland Islands Council] by Mr. John Scott.

1985 Emergency repairs undertaken.

1991 Interpretative sign erected by SAT [Shetland Amenity Trust].'

Visited by RCAHMS (RJCM), 11 August 2006.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions