Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Carleton Castle

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Carleton Castle

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 61968

Site Number NX18NW 2

NGR NX 13302 89521

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/61968

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Ayrshire
  • Parish Colmonell
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kyle And Carrick
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NX18NW 2 13302 89521.

(NX 13308951) Carleton Castle (NR) (Remains of)

OS 6" map (1957)

A tower of the period 1400-1542, of quadrilateral form with walls 6' thick, standing five storeys high. Part of the vaulted ground and hall floor still remains. Otherwise the structure is much ruined, the SE angle having fallen out entirely. The entrance was probably in the SE angle, at the level of the hall floor. Traces still exist of a wall and two corner towers enclosing a courtyard on the tongue of land between the two burns.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1889

Carleton Castle (name confirmed) is generally as described although the authority is mis-oriented. For SE read NE. Much of the NE angle wall has been replaced by a modern wall. The east wall, where it survives is 2.3m thick. Slight, unsurveyable indications of a wall lie c 10m NE of the tower.

Visited by OS (RD) 21 December 1970

No change from previous field report.

Visited by OS (JRL) 22 March 1977

Carleton Castle, probably built in the 15th century, is as described and illustrated.

RCAHMS 1981, visited 1981

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions