Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kirkhill Castle

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Kirkhill Castle

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 61959

Site Number NX18NW 11

NGR NX 14586 85981

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/61959

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Ayrshire
  • Parish Colmonell
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kyle And Carrick
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NX18NW 11 14586 85981.

(NX 1458 8598) Kirkhill Castle (NAT)

OS 6" map (1958)

A typical small fortalice of the late 16th century standing close to the more modern mansion which has superseded it.

N Tranter 1965

It has an L-plan three storeys and a garret in height with corner turrets at the main block angles. The castle has been long roofless, but the walls, of mortared rubble are fairly complete although the interior is ruinous. It bears the date 1589.

Formerly known as Glebelands, the property came into the possession of the Kennedys before the Reformation and was held by them until 1843 when it was bought by Col Barton of Ballaird, a hero of Waterloo.

Visited by OS (JD) 28 October 1955

No change to previous information.

Visited by OS (BS) 8 January 1976

Kirkhill Castle: A ruinous L-plan tower-house, as described.

RCAHMS 1981, visited 1981

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions