Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Miltonise

Cairn(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Miltonise

Classification Cairn(S) (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 61803

Site Number NX17SE 2

NGR NX 1925 7405

NGR Description NX 1925 7405 and NX 1925 7403

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/61803

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish New Luce
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Wigtown
  • Former County Wigtownshire

Archaeology Notes

NX17SE 2 1925 7405 and 1925 7403.

(NX 1925 7404) Cairn (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map (1957)

The Ring Cairn, circa 14 feet in diameter with four standing stones, 3 feet by 2 feet and a cist (Mr Lupton letter 6 April 1898).

G Wilson 1899

The remains of a circular cairn, 29 feet in diameter, now reduced to ground level, with a short cist, 1ft 10ins by 1ft 6 ins by 1ft 6ins deep, exposed in the centre. There is no sign of the standing stones mentioned by Wilson.

RCAHMS 1912, visited 1911

This robbed cairn, name not confirmed, consists of a slight rim 10.0m in diameter and 0.3m high. The cist is still exposed.

Surveyed at 1:10 000.

Visited by OS (JP) 27 April 1976

There is the site of a cairn at Drumlochart.

P H M'Kerlie 1877

There are two cairns on a low flat-topped ridge on the E side of the railway 650m NNE of Miltonise farmhouse. The larger, which has been robbed, measures at least 9.5m in diameter by 0.4m in height, but the edges of the cairn are hidden beneath the surrounding peat. Immediately NE of the centre of the cairn a small slab-built cist is exposed; it is an irregular quadrilateral on plan and measures a maximum of 670mm from ENE to WSW by 420mm transversely. The SSE slab, which leans inwards, is at least 400mm high, but the other slabs are between 200mm and 250mm lower, and the sides were probably carried up with coursed stones, two of which survive. The smaller cairn, which lies 10m to the S, is covered in peat, but it is visible as a low mound measuring about 5m in diameter by 0.2m in height. What is apparently a description of this site made in 1898 by a Mr Lupton, and published by Wilson, refers to it as 'Cairn about fourteen feet (4.26m) in diameter, four standing-stones 3 x 2 feet, and old cist'.

RCAHMS 1987, visited (SH) August 1985

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions