Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Essential maintenance

HES is currently undertaking essential maintenance on our web services. This will limit access to services in the following ways:

- Subscription access for HES online services will be unavailable (Scran, NCAP)

 - Image purchasing options will be limited (Canmore, Britain from Above, Scran, NCAP)

 - Any enhanced services which require a log in will be unavailable (My Canmore, Britain from Above contributions, Scran contribute)

 General access to these services will all continue. Enquiries will still be able to be submitted.

 We anticipate services to be restored from Monday 1st February 2021.

 

White Cairn, Markdhu

Cairn (Period Unassigned)

Site Name White Cairn, Markdhu

Classification Cairn (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 61791

Site Number NX17SE 1

NGR NX 1780 7486

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/61791

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish New Luce
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Wigtown
  • Former County Wigtownshire

Archaeology Notes

NX17SE 1 1780 7486.

(Name NX 1786 7479) White Cairn (NR)

OS 6" map (1909)

A small cairn composed of small stones.

Name Book 1846

A green hillock at the east end of a spur of rock, which projects into the flow is probably the object meant or the site of it. There is no cairn now, and the hillock is natural.

RCAHMS 1912, visited 1911

NX 17807486. The remains of this cairn, on a small knoll and overlain by a stone-walled sheep fank, measures 10.0m E-W by 8.0m transversely and is 0.4m high. The name is not known locally.

Surveyed at 1:10,000.

Visited by OS (JP) 27 April 1976

This cairn is overlain by the small sheepfold which stands in the open moorland between High Murdonochee and Corly Craig. It measures about 10.5m in diameter by 0.5m in maximum height, but the interior of the ree has been roughly levelled into its centre.

RCAHMS 1987, visited (SH) 28 May 1986.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions