Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Cairn Kenny

Chambered Cairn (Neolithic)

Site Name Cairn Kenny

Classification Chambered Cairn (Neolithic)

Canmore ID 61771

Site Number NX17NE 1

NGR NX 1746 7525

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish New Luce
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Wigtown
  • Former County Wigtownshire

Archaeology Notes

NX17NE 1 1746 7525.

(NX 1746 7525) Cairn Kenny (NAT) Chambered Cairn (NR)

OS 1:10000 map (1977)

Cairn Kenny is a chambered round cairn, of the Bargrennan group, built on a knoll and having a well-defined edge with a diameter of 50 feet. It rises steeply to a height of 6 feet but the top has been removed to expose the chamber and part of the passage approaching from the east. These are now stone-filled leaving only the tops of the chamber orthostats visible. A hollow has also been made in the east side of the cairn in an attempt to find the outer end of the passage. The upper part of the cairn is of base stone the lower part being overgrown with turf and heather. There has been a kerb of closely spaced stones three of which are visible on the NE and one on the NW.

A S Henshall 1972, visited 1962

Cairn Kenny is as described by Henshall.

Surveyed at 1:10 000.

Visited by OS (JP) 27 April 1976

This cairn has been considerably disturbed since it was planned by Atkinson and visited by Henshall. Measuring 15m in diameter, the cairn still stands to a maximum height of 1.6m, although the upper 0.5m appears to be spoil from the excavation trench that has revealed the chamber at its centre. All that is now visible of the chamber, however, are four massive side slabs set in opposed pairs at the W end of the chamber. The western slab on the S has been displaced, obscuring the end of the passage and the broken lintel that was previously recorded. Nothing can be seen of the other two pairs of orthostats recorded to the E, and the lintel that spanned the second pair appears to have been removed.

RCAHMS 1987, visited (SH) March 1985


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions