Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Truderscaig

Field System (Period Unassigned), Hut Circle(S) (Prehistoric)

Site Name Truderscaig

Classification Field System (Period Unassigned), Hut Circle(S) (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 6167

Site Number NC73SW 3

NGR NC 704 306

NGR Description Centred NC 704 306

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/6167

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Farr
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NC73SW 3 centred 704 306

('A': NC 7025 3466 'B': NC 7031 3458 'C': NC 7029 3461) Enclosures (NR)

OS 6"map, (1963)

Three oval enclosures, probably hut-circles, accompanied by field-clearance heaps, lying along the SW-facing slopes of Cnoc Bad an Leathhaid.

RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909; Visited by OS (E G C) 15 May 1961.

Centred on NC 704 346 on the SW and south flanks of Cnoc Bad an Leathaid is a settlement of six hut circles ('A'-'F'), including the three noted above, and a field system. The field system covering about eight hectares has been largely destroyed by forestry ploughing clearly revealing the stony content of the clearance heaps; no readily discernible traces of field boundaries survive. Huts 'A'-'C' lie on the SW side of the hill.

'A' is well-defined and turf-covered and is both set into and built up onto the slope. It measures 13.5m N-S by 10.5m within a wall 0.5m high and spread to 2.5m. The entrance is in the S.

'B' survives as a platform set into the slope in the NE. It measures 9.0m SE-NW by 7.0m within a wall 0.5m high and spread to 2.0m in the NE, but with only slight traces around the SW arc. The entrance is in the SE.

'C' is almost unrecognisable due to ploughing and planting. It survives as a vague platform 8.0m in overall diameter, with patches of walling visible in the furrows.

'D'-'F' lie on the southern side of the hill. 'D' and 'E' are east where the wall is about 1.0m high externally. They measure 8.0m N-S by 6.0m and 10.5m N-S by 9.5m respectively within walls spread to 2.0m in hut 'E', and obscured by peat-silting in hut 'D'. Both are entered from S.

'F' is within the afforested area and has been almost totally destroyed by ploughing. It survives as a low platform 9.5m in overall diameter, with the rubble wall clearly revealed in the furrows. No other features survive.

Surveyed at 1:10 000.

Visited by OS (J B) 18 April 1977.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions