Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Ballinclach

Burgh (Medieval)

Site Name Ballinclach

Classification Burgh (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Glenluce

Canmore ID 61179

Site Number NX15NE 35

NGR NX 19 57

NGR Description NX c. 19 57

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/61179

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Old Luce
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Wigtown
  • Former County Wigtownshire

Archaeology Notes

NX15NE 35 c. 19 57

Possibly on map sheet NX25NW.

In 1496 Ballinclach was erected an ecclesiastical burgh of barony belonging to the abbot and monastery of Glenluce. There is no evidence to indicate the site of the burgh, but it probably lay in the vicinity of the present village of Glenluce, which in 1707 was erected a burgh of regality.

RCAHMS 1987.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions