Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kirkmaiden, Old Parish Church And Burial-ground

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), Cross Slab (Early Medieval)(Possible)

Site Name Kirkmaiden, Old Parish Church And Burial-ground

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), Cross Slab (Early Medieval)(Possible)

Alternative Name(s) Mull Of Galloway Farm; Kirkmaiden Church; St Catherine's Croft

Canmore ID 61095

Site Number NX13SW 7

NGR NX 13853 32437

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/61095

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Kirkmaiden
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Wigtown
  • Former County Wigtownshire

Archaeology Notes

NX13SW 7 13853 32437

(NX 1385 3243) Kirkmaiden Church (NR)

(Site of)

OS 6" map (1957)

For successor church (NX 12450 36920), see NX13NW 16.

Only the foundation remains of the pre-Reformation parish church of Kirkmaiden, which was dedicated to St Medana. It was replaced in 1638 by the church at NX 1245 3692 (see NX13NW 16). A small churchyard was attached to it. The ONB states that while burials were taking place, the horses were loosed to graze in Maitland's Croft (the area outlined by pecks on OS 6"), which is called St Catherine's Croft on the 1850 6" edition. Scott, following this, states that a chapel, dedicated to St Catherine, existed here. Thomas has a plan showing possible cells.

Name Book 1848; H Scott 1917; W J Watson 1926; C Thomas 1971 .

The church, which is set into the hillside, measures internally c. 14.5m E-W by c. 6.0m transversly between the remains of a grass-covered wall c. 0.3m high externally with occasional faces visible. The entrance is in the S side. The enclosure wall consists of grass-covered tumble overlain, except in the E, by a modern dyke. There is no ground evidence for the possible cells indicated on Thomas's plan. Name confirmed.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (DWR) 7 February 1972

The former parish church of Kirkmaiden stood within its burial-ground 500m N of Mull farmhouse. It has been reduced to its wall-foundations and measures about 15.5m by 6m internally. Elsewhere within the burial-ground there are three other rectangular structures, of unknown date and purpose, the largest of which, situated on the S and measuring 15m in length overall, may be a building. The church comes on record in 1386 and was abandoned about 1639 when a new church was built at Kirkmaiden (NX13NW 16).

A cross-incised slab of Early Christian date, now in the Royal Museum of Scotland (IB 33), is said to have come either from this church, or from Kildonan church (NX13NW 7).

OSA 1791; NSA 1845; Name Book 1848; W Todd 1854; A Mitchell 1872; G Chalmers 1887-1902; J R Allen and J Anderson 1903; P H M'Kerlie 1906; H Scott 1915-61; I B Cowan 1967; A C Thomas 1971; RCAHMS 1912; RCAHMS 1985, visited July 1984.

Kirkmaiden Church (remains of)

Graveyard [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, July 2009.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions