Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Mull Of Galloway, Lighthouse

Lighthouse (19th Century)

Site Name Mull Of Galloway, Lighthouse

Classification Lighthouse (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Skulmartin Light; North Channel; Solway Firth

Canmore ID 61040

Site Number NX13SE 2

NGR NX 15692 30398

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/61040

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Kirkmaiden
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Wigtown
  • Former County Wigtownshire

Archaeology Notes

NX13SE 2.00 15692 30398

L Ho [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1984.

NX13SE 2.01 NX 15781 30232 Foghorn (Carrickcarlin Point)

NX13SE 2.02 NX 15703 30409 North Lighthouse Keeper's House

NX13SE 2.03 NX 15708 30400 South Lighthouse Keeper's House

NX13SE 2.04 NX 15702 30486 Visitor Centre

For (possibly associated) harbour at East Tarbet (NX 14475 30934), see NX13SW 51.00.

Mull of Galloway lighthouse, built 1828. An 85ft (25.9m) tall tower.

J Butt 1967; D B Hague and A Christie 1975.

(Location cited as NX 157 303). Mull of Galloway lighthouse, built 1828. A tall tapering circular rubble tower on a semicircular base, with a corbelled parapet, and a triangular-paned lantern, with a domed top. The keepers' houses are of the usual flat-roofed type, one range having rather coarse classical features. The light is now given by a revolving bank of car headlights.

J R Hume 1976.

Mull of Galloway lighthouse was built by R Stevenson at a cost of between £8000 and £9000 and first lit in 1830 with an early example of an occulting light. The high walls that were originally built around the ancillary buildings were lowered in 1907 and the light was electrified (with a sealed beam) in 1971.

R W Munro 1979.

During November 1999, RCAHMS conducted a photographic survey of the Mull of Galloway lighthouse. The purpose of this survey was to enhance and augment the existing holdings of the National Monuments Record Scotland.

Visited by RCAHMS (MKO), August 1999.

Mull of Galloway Lighthouse, 1828, Robert Stevenson. a 60ft [18.3m] tall rubble tower, still functioning though without human input. Low ranges of keepers' cottages, flat-roofed behind a blocking course, each originally with byre, ash-pit and privy. Foghorn (1894) on semicircular battery at water's edge.

J R Hume 2000.

Mull of Galloway Lighthouse

(Flashing, white) [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, July 2009.

Activities

Construction (1828)

Light established in 1828.

K Allardyce and E M Hood 1986

Modification (1988)

Automated in 1988.

S Krauskopf 2001

Photographic Survey (November 1999)

During November 1999, RCAHMS conducted a photographic survey of the Mull of Galloway lighthouse. The purpose of this survey was to enhance and augment the existing holdings of the National Monuments Record Scotland.

Visited by RCAHMS (MKO), August 1999.

Publication Account (2007)

This lighthouse was built in 1828 for the Northern Lighthouse Board by Edinburgh contractors Brebner and Scott, to the design and under the direction of Robert Stevenson for about £9000. The stone tower is 70 ft high and stands above cliffs 260 ft high. The light was first exhibited in 1830 and was novel in operating as an ‘intermittent’ light by means of the sudden closing and opening of two intersecting opaque drums enclosing the apparatus which were moved vertically in opposite directions by machinery. Changes were made to the light through the years and in 1971 the tower was modernised and electricity installed. The fog horn, now disused, dates from 1894.

R Paxton and J Shipway 2007

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission from Thomas Telford Publishers.

Project (2007)

This project was undertaken to input site information listed in 'Civil engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' by R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions