Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

High Curghie

Standing Stone(S) (Prehistoric)

Site Name High Curghie

Classification Standing Stone(S) (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 60999

Site Number NX13NW 37

NGR NX 123 367

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/60999

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Kirkmaiden
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Wigtown
  • Former County Wigtownshire

Archaeology Notes

NX13NW 037 123 367.

Todd (W Todd 1954) notes that in Kirkmaiden parish, "there were several remains of what were considered to have been Druid Circles. The Standing Stones of High Curghie, which stood on the hill behind where the present Stack-yeard is, were of this description. They were all removed by the tenant about 50 years ago."

High Curghie farm steading included buildings on both sides of the road on early maps, so it is not known on which side the 'Stack-yeard' stood. This seems to be a fairly reliable testimony of some standing stones having occupied this site, though they need not necessarily have formed a circle.

J Murray 1981

The 'Standing Stones of High Curghie, which stood on the hill behind the barn where the present Stack-yeard is' were removed at the beginning of the 19th century. The stackyard was probably the enclosure on the W side of the public road immediately to the S of the steading (OS 6-inch map, Wigtownshire, 1st ed, 1850, sheet 31) but the location of stones is unknown.

W Todd 1854; J Murray 1981; RCAHMS 1985

Possible stone circle.

S Stevenson 1987

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions