Leswalt, Old Parish Church And Burial-ground
Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)
Site Name Leswalt, Old Parish Church And Burial-ground
Alternative Name(s) Old Leswalt Church And Burial-ground; Agnew Aisle
Canmore ID 60841
Site Number NX06SW 2
NGR NX 01576 63855
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
- Council Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish Leswalt
- Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
- Former District Wigtown
- Former County Wigtownshire
NX06SW 2.00 0157 6385
(NX 0157 6385) Leswalt Church (NR) (Remains of)
OS 6" map (1957)
The ruined predecessor of the present church (NX 0197 6388) which was built in 1828. The main structure or nave lies east-west, and a 17th century wing with an inscription dated 1644, has been added on the north. Both are roofless and ivy-clad. It is not possible to date the nave as all the dressed stones of the wall openings have been removed, but the level of the ground outside the walls is considerably higher than that within. A small vaulted chamber 13' x 7' within walls 2' thick, adjoins the SE corner of the nave. Its size suggests that it was a place of burial. The exterior is grass-grown. At a distance of 18" from the east wall of the main building is a modernised building about 22' by 9' with a slated roof.
A fireplace in the east wall of the church is explained by the fact that the building was used as a parish school after the erection of the new church. Before the Reformation the Church of Leswalt belonged to the Monks of Tungland (NX65SE 12).
D MacGibbon and T Ross 1897; RCAHMS 1912
Generally as described above, although the ground level is only higher to the south of the nave. The 17th c wing is used as a burial place
for the Agnew family, but the date (1644) is obscured by ivy. No further information was found by local enquiries.
Visited by OS (RD) 19 February 1968
This church stands within its walled burial-ground in the village of Leswalt. It is rectangular on plan and has been modified by the addition of a burial-vault on the E and the Agnew Aisle on the N. The church measures 12.8m by 4.5m within walls 0.8m thick and 2.4m high, and has been shortened, with the insertion of the E gable, from about 18.2m. The S wall incorporates an arched doorway and three window-openings.
The Agnew Aisle measures 4.5m by 4.4m within walls 0.8m thick and 2.4m high; the N gable bears an armorial panel with the date 1644. The church was annexed to Tongland Abbey between 1355 and 1359, and was abandoned in 1828 when the new parish church was built (NX 6389 0197); it was subsequently converted for secular use.
New Statistical Account 1845; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1896-7; P H M'Kerlie 1906; I B Cowan 1967; RCAHMS 1912; 1985, visited September 1984.