Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Innermessan

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Canmore ID 60793

Site Number NX06SE 5

NGR NX 08450 63390

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Inch
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Wigtown
  • Former County Wigtownshire

Archaeology Notes

NX06SE 5 0845 6339.

(NX 0845 6339) Castle (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map (1938)

The Agnews of Lochnaw acquired lands here in 1429 and built, soon after, just behind the site now occupied by the present farmhouse (of Innermessan) a fortalice. Last inhabited circa 1687, the castle was sold to the Earl of Stair in 1723 AD, used as a cavalry barracks and then allowed to decay; thereafter it was used as a quarry and the entire steading of Balyett (NX 08 62) has been built from its stones.

B M'Conchie 1932

No trace now remains of this castle, the site shown on OS map is now occupied by a hay-barn. There is nothing to suggest that the steading of Balyett has been built from its stones; in fact Miss Douglas, Innermessan, states that the steading of Innermessan is built from the stones from the old castle.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 11 February 1963

There are no visible remains at Innermessan of the Agnews' tower-house, which was abandoned after 1723 on its acquisition by the Earl of Stair. Stones from the tower are said to have been used in the construction of Balyett Steading. The Agnews had been in possession of Innermessan since 1429.

RCAHMS 1987, visited (PC) November 1985


Note (22 December 2021)

The location, classification and period of this site have been reviewed.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions