Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Standing Stones Of Balmennoch

Stone Circle (Neol/bronze Age)

Site Name Standing Stones Of Balmennoch

Classification Stone Circle (Neol/bronze Age)

Canmore ID 60544

Site Number NX05NE 26

NGR NX 06 57

NGR Description NX c. 06 57

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/60544

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Inch
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Wigtown
  • Former County Wigtownshire

Archaeology Notes

NX05NE 26 c. 06 57.

Mitchell (1873) quotes notes made by W Todd, an old schoolmaster from the parish of Kirkmaiden, which record the removal of a circle of six large stones from the farm of Balmennoch between 1760 and 1770. The stones were removed to provide building stone for the farmhouse at Little Lochans.

About 1792 Balmennoch was spilt into two farms, Mount Pleasant and Meikle Lochans. The former (NX 065 571) is situated on or close to the site of Mid Balminnoch (Thomson 1826). Ainslie (1782) also depicts the farm of South Balminnoch, which lay in the vicinity of the modern village of Lochans, and may have been the farm of Ballmeanoch shown by Roy (1747-55).

J Murray 1981; RCAHMS 1985

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions