Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Croislach

Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Croislach

Classification Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 6032

Site Number NC71NE 4

NGR NC 778 158

NGR Description centred on NC 778 158

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/6032

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Clyne
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NC71NE 4 centred on 778 158.

(NC 778 158) Croislach (OS 6" map, 1972), a depopulated settlement shown as 'Crislich', a group of four buildings with arable, in 1747 (Roy 1747-55) and noted as occupied by a small tenant and under crop in 1812 (Adam 1972). It was in ruins by 1872 (ONB 1872).

W Roy 1747-55; Name Book 1872; R J Adam 1972.

The centre of the area of depopulation is occupied by a modern sheepfold. Around this are the faint outlines of several rectangular buildings consisting of turf banks about 0.2m high and ranging in size from 28m by 4m to 4m by 4m. The remains of an enclosing bank can be traced round the north side of this area and to the north of this bank are several crude, sub-rectangular boulder-walled enclosures.

A township comprising three unroofed buildings, three enclosures, two fields and part of a head-dyke, is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1879, sheet lxxxvii). Two roofed and five unroofed buildings, three enclosures, two fields and part of a head-dyke are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,560 map (1963).

Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 16 October 1995

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions