Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.

 

Whitslade Tower

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Whitslade Tower

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 60303

Site Number NT13NW 11

NGR NT 1125 3506

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/60303

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Broughton, Glenholm And Kilbucho
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Tweeddale
  • Former County Peebles-shire

Archaeology Notes

NT13NW 11 1125 3506

(NT 1125 3506) Tower (NR) (rems of)

OS 6" map, (1968).

Not to be confused with Whitslaid Tower (NT 55756 44546) in Legerwood parish, for which see NT54SE 1; or Whitslaid Tower (NT 4285 1796) in Ashkirk parish, for which see NT41NW 6

NMRS REFERENCE

Whitslade Tower, now reduced to its lowest storey, appears to have comprised a main block, lying E-W, with a small wing projecting from the SW angle. The main block measures 28'10" x 22'5" over walls which vary in thickness from 3'4" to 4'; the dimensions of the wing cannot be ascertained without excavation. The remaining apartment, originally no doubt a storage chamber, is barrel-vaulted and has a window, now blocked, in the W wall. The original entrance was probably in the wing, which may also have contained a turnpike stair giving access to the upper storeys of the tower.

The plan and dimensions suggest that the tower is of 16th century date.

RCAHMS 1967, visited 1959.

EXRTTERNAL REFERENCE:

ORDNANCE SURVEY

The remaining lower storey of this tower, which is as described and in good condition, is now used as a store-room.

Visited by OS(BS) 19 November 1974.

Activities

Field Visit (12 April 1912)

241. Whitslade Tower.

The ruins of this tower are situated about 2 ½ miles to the south-east of Lauder. The site has originally been one of considerable natural strength, having the Leader on the west side and a deep ravine to the north. The existing fragment is a simple oblong on plan (fig. 118) measuring some 25 feet by 16 feet 10 inches within walls averaging 7 feet in thickness. The main entrance has been-a tthe north end of the east wall giving direct access to a vaulted basement lighted by a narrow opening in the south wall. From the south in-go of this doorway a flight of straight steps ascends in the thickness of the south and east walls to the great hall on the first floor. At this level the walls are very much ruined, but indications of windows in the side walls and a fireplace in the north wall can still be seen. A recess adjoining the south-west angle has evidently served as a garderobe having a built flue with an outlet near the ground level. There would appear to have been a wheel-stair formed at the south-west angle leading from the platt at the entrance to the hall to the level of the attic floor above. The upper part of the castle has been reconstructed in the form of a gabled house at a late date. The whole has been originally built of rough rubble, but it is now in a very ruinous state. The quoin-stones within easy reach of the ground have been torn out, and the total height from the ground to the wall-head does not exceed 23 feet.

Whitslade Tower is said to have belonged to a branch of the Lauder family. Unfortunately no details now remain to suggest its approximate date.

RCAHMS 1915, visited 12th April 1912.

OS Map: Ber., xx. SW.

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding building.

Information from Scottish Borders Council.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions