Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Rogart, St Callan's Church

Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Rogart, St Callan's Church

Classification Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Saint Callan's Church Of Scotland Church

Canmore ID 5975

Site Number NC70SW 20

NGR NC 73884 03518

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/5975

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Rogart
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NC70SW 20 73884 03518.

The Church of Rogart was given by Bishop Gilbert (bishop in the second quarter of the 13th century) to the Church of Dornoch.

H Morrison 1883.

The church, dedicated apparently to a saint known locally as St Callan, was repaired between 1602 and 1619 by Sir Robert Gordon. The church appears to have stood at all times in the village of Rogart where the present building was erected in 1777 (but see also NC70SW 16 - St Callan's Chapel - site).

Orig Paroch Scot 1855.

NC 7385 0352. The present church of St Callan was gutted about 1770 and rebuilt in 1777. It was restored in 1956, and is still in use.

The original church on this site superseded the chapel further S in 1556 (Information from Rev J B Imrie, The Manse, Rogart to OS).

Visited by OS (N K B) 17 February 1966.

No change. Church still in use.

Visited by OS (N K B) 29 April 1981.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions