Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Outer Hare Cleuch

Linear Earthwork (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Outer Hare Cleuch

Classification Linear Earthwork (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 59059

Site Number NT81NW 36

NGR NT 83080 15976

NGR Description From NT 8317 1598 to NT 8321 1600

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Morebattle
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Roxburgh
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Archaeology Notes

NT81NW 36 from 8317 1598 to 8321 1600

(NT 8317 1597 - NT 8328 1604) Earthwork (NR)

[Unspecified] OS map.

A linear earthwork runs WSW from the brink of Outer Hare Cleuch, near its head, to within 23 yds of the fence marking the parish boundary. It could be called a 'cross-dyke', of which there are a number in Roxburghshire. They are non-defensive, though they may have served as obstacles to traffic. There is no conclusive evidence for dating them to any particular period.

It consists of a much spread mound with wide depressions, which take the place of a ditch, on its upper side. The WSW section, 55 yds in length, is fairly well marked, but the remainder is very indistinct. A hollow track rises from the cleuch at the ENE end, and immediately disappears in the moss.

RCAHMS 1956, visited 1944.

As described by the RCAHMS.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 1 September 1960.

No change.

Resurveyed at 1:10 000.

Visited by OS (TRG) 30 August 1976.

Over the moderate NE-facing slopes above the Outer Hare Cleuch, near its head and The Street (NT81NW 92), there is a linear earthwork. The earthwork stops on the E side of, and at right angles to, the complex of trackways forming The Street and may be truncated by these features. When visited by the RCAHMS in 1944, the earthwork could be traced for some 110m though only the WSW section was described as 'fairly well marked'; the remainder was described as 'very indistinct'. During the present survey only the WSW section was observed. It comprises a low bank standing up to 0.5m in height and stretching for about 45m and spread up to 4m in width. The RCAHMS (1956) noted that a series of wide depressions take the place of a ditch on the uphill, or SE, side. These hollows measure up to 4m in width and about 0.3m in depth.

Information from RJ Mercer (University of Edinburgh) 3 April 1985

RCAHMS MS 2598. No. 49/626


Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding earthwork or monument.

Information from Scottish Borders Council


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions