Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Oldhamstocks Parish Church

Burial Aisle (16th Century), Church (14th Century), Church (18th Century), Sundial (16th Century), War Memorial (20th Century)

Site Name Oldhamstocks Parish Church

Classification Burial Aisle (16th Century), Church (14th Century), Church (18th Century), Sundial (16th Century), War Memorial (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Church Of Scotland; Hepburn Burial-aisle

Canmore ID 58913

Site Number NT77SW 11

NGR NT 73799 70651

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/58913

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Oldhamstocks (East Lothian)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT77SW 11 73801 70652.

(NT 73801 70652) Ch (NAT) Vault (NR)

OS 6" map (1971)

Oldhamstocks parish church was recast in 1701, a N jamb with a family aisle making it in to a T-plan. Signs of an older church include, in the E gable, a splayed double base-course of about the 14th century. The Hepburn aisle was added to this in 1581; the S door of this, however, probably dates to 1701. The pointed windows of the church are newer in workmanship if not in form, and although the staged W tower may be original (or even basically medieval), its belfry is of the later 18th century. A sundial, evidently of 1701, is bracketed from the SW corner of the church. Internally, the Hepburn aisle was developed as a 'chancel' in successive 20th century alterations. It has its original ashlar vault.

The original church of Oldhamstocks was dedicated to St Michael, and dated from before 1127.

C McWilliam 1978; RCAHMS 1924, visited 1913; OSA 1793

This church is still in use. The original entrance, now blocked, has the date 1701 on the lintel, and the E gable of the Hepburn burial aisle contains two heraldic plaques, one dated 1581. A modern notice-board at the entrance to the graveyard states that the church was founded in 1242. Mrs D Fleming (Oldhamstocks House) confirmed that the original church was dedicated to St Michael.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 29 March 1966

Architecture Notes

NT77SW 11.00 73799 70651

NT77SW 11.01 73783 70651 Burial Ground

NT77SW 11.02 73797 70626 Watch House

Activities

Field Visit (14 June 1913)

The parish church of Oldhamstocks lies within its churchyard at the western end of the village. It is a comparatively modern building of scant merit architecturally, built for the most part on the foundations of an early church, of which only a portion of the east gable and certain courses of masonry at the ground level remain. Still there is evidence that the earlier church was oblong on plan and had a square tower, somewhat broader than its modern successor, projecting from the centre of the west gable. Across the east gable of the present building there returns a boldly splayed c. 14th century double base course, 2 feet 6 inches high with a total projection of 11 ½ inches, which apparently returned along the other walls of the church. On the south-west angle of the building at a height of 12 feet from the ground is set a 16th century inclining sundial, which is canted from the south wall and has, with its projecting gnomon, been wrought from a single stone. The top is hollowed to form one dial; a portion of the half its is cut back at an angle to form two other dials, one to the east the other to the west, while a fourth dial, below the hollow dial on top, is moulded like a Gothic rib and serves also as a gnomon. The treatment thus resembles that of the terminal sundial set on a buttress at the southwest angle of Cockburnspath Parish Church.*

A vaulted building (fig. 111, plan), measuring 14 feet 9 inches from north to south and 17 feet 2 inches from east to west within walls 3 feet thick, projects eastward from the east gable. It is entered through a lintelled doorway in the south wall, is lit by a late Gothic three-light window in the east wall and is ceiled with a semicircular barrel-vault covered exteriorly with stone slabs.. The head of the east window is filled with tracery of a peculiarly rude and debased description; the mullions and jambs are grooved for glass.

Exteriorly the window is flanked on either side by a heraldic panel. On the northern, under mantling and a scroll bearing the motto ‘Keep Traist’ (?), is a shield charged per pale: dexter on a chevron a rose between two lions combatant, in base a buckle in form of a heart (Hepburn of Blackcastle); sinister three pelicans vulned and on a chief three stars (or mullets) (? Paterson). A John Paterson was parson of Oldhamstocks in 1637 (1). On the southern panel is a shield parted as to the lower third of the field, the upper portion containing the initials T H (Thomas Hepburn, parson of Oldhamstocks) and his arms as above. On the lower portion of the shield are the initials M S (Margaret Sinclair, his wife), an engrailed cross (for Sinclair) and the date 1581.

The terminal in form of a pine-apple surmounting the apex of the gable appears to be of 17th century workmanship and is possibly coeval with the entrance.

There can be no doubt that this eastern building was erected as a burial aisle in post Reformation times-possibly in 1581-and not as a chapel or chancel.

HISTORICAL NOTE. The original church of ‘Aldhampstocks’ was dedicated to St. Michael (2). ‘Adulf priest of Aldehamstoc’ was one of the witnesses to a document of 1127 (3). Thomas de Hunsingoure was ‘parson of the church of Aldhamstoke’ in 1296, when he appears upon Ragman Roll (4). Patrick Sinclair was ‘rector of Aldhampstocks’ in 1450 (5). The Thomas Hepburn referred to above was attached to Queen Mary's court and was forfeited for treason in having aided in her escape from Lochleven Castle in 1568 and the subsequent proceedings (6).

RCAHMS 1924, visited 14 June 1913

* Inventory of Monts. in Berwickshire p. 23; cf. Proc. Soc. Ant. Scot. vol. xxiv., pp. 181-3; cf. also p.173.

(1) Milne Home MSS. p. 193; (2) Home MSS in Hist. MSS. xii., App. viii., p. 87; (3) Early Scottish Charters, p. 60; (4) Cal. of Docts. ii., p. 212; (5) Home MSS. No. 124; (6) Acta Parl. (19 Aug. 1568) vol. iv., pp. 49, 52.

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions