Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dunglass Viaduct

Railway Viaduct (19th Century)

Site Name Dunglass Viaduct

Classification Railway Viaduct (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Dunglass Burn; Dunglass Dean

Canmore ID 58886

Site Number NT77SE 44

NGR NT 77068 72148

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/58886

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Cockburnspath
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Berwickshire
  • Former County Berwickshire

Archaeology Notes

NT77SE 44 77068 72148

Dunglass Viaduct [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1987.

See also NT77SE 37 and NT77SE 43 ,45 and 114.

Not to be confused with railway bridge at NT 77218 72028 (to the SE), for which see NT77SE 79.

(Location cited as NT 771 721). Dunglass Vaiduct, opened 1846 by the North British Rly. A six-span viaduct with a 135ft (41.1m) central span flanked on one side by two smaller arches and on the other by three. The arch rings, quoins on the piers, and the buttresses on either side of the main span are of ashlar, the rest of the masonwork being coursed rubble. The buttresses have incised linear ornament.

J R Hume 1976.

This bridge carries the Edinburgh-Newcastle portion of the Edinburgh - London (King's Cross) 'East coast main line' over the Dunglass Burn, which flows in Dunglass Dean and here forms the boundary between the parishes of Oldhamstocks (East Lothian) and Cockburnspath (Berwickshire). This line has been electrified, and the viaduct carries overhead line equipment.

The location assigned to this record defines the centre of the structure. The available map evidence suggests that it extends from NT C. 77020 72187 to NT c. 77099 72125.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 2 February 2006.

Activities

Construction (1846)

North British Railway viaduct

Project (2007)

This project was undertaken to input site information listed in 'Civil engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' by R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Publication Account (2007)

An impressive segmental masonry arch viaduct designed by and built under the direction of North British Railway Company engineer John Miller on the first railway to cross the Border, now the East Coast Main Line. The bridge has five spans of 30 ft and a main span of 135 ft about 110 ft above the burn, one of the largest masonry arches in Scotland.

R Paxton and J Shipway 2007

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission from Thomas Telford.

Sbc Note

Visibility: Standing structure or monument.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions