Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dunglass, Old Bridge

Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Dunglass, Old Bridge

Classification Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Dunglass Burn; Dunglass Dean; Dunglass Bridge

Canmore ID 58878

Site Number NT77SE 37

NGR NT 77212 72322

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/58878

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Cockburnspath
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Berwickshire
  • Former County Berwickshire

Archaeology Notes

NT77SE 37 77213 72321

(NT 7721 7231) Dunglass Old Bridge (NAT)

OS 6" map (1971)

See also NT77SE 43, NT77SE 44, NT77SE 45, NT77SE 114.

This bridge, across the steep-sided chasm containing the Dunglass Burn, appears as a wedge of masonry pierced by a single lofty, semi-circular arch. It originally dipped to a hollow in the centre but has now been levelled up; its length along the carriageway is 218ft [66.5m] and its breadth varies from 37 1/2 ft [11.4m] to 15ft [4.6m] within the parapets, which average about 1ft 5 ins [0.43m] in thickness and are flush with the outer faces of the bridge. The bridge has undergone much repair and patching, which have disguised its structural history, and its upstream face is much obscured by ivy; but on the downstream face there is evidence for at least three main phases of construction. To the first of these may be allotted an area of smallish yellow rubble, adjoining the archway on the left bank, and, presumably, some larger and better rubble, of pinkish colour, on the right bank. In the second phase part of the right-bank abutment and the adjoining downstream portion of the arch seems to have been reconstructed and strengthened with buttresses. The third phase is represented by construction in large, well-squared blocks, coursed and interspersed with putlog-holes, which occupies a large part of the face on the left bank, extends beyond the haunch of the arch, and overrides the rubble-work. This portion of the face is supported by two buttresses, themselves patched. The top of a subsidiary arch, now largely earthed up and encroached on by a modern wall and a penstock, is visible near the base of the upstream face. This was probably designed to accommodate a mill-lade (Dunglass Mill is or record in 1648). The first construction is likely to have been early in the 17th century, possibly before the visit of the Commissioners in 1617; the reconstruction and buttressing probably dates to about 1648, and the second major repair may be confidently dated to 1794.

A Graham 1965.

This bridge carries what was apparently the line of the earliest-known predecessor to the A1 public road over the Dunglass Burn, which flows in Dunglass Dean and here forms the boundary between the parishes of Oldhamstocks (East Lothian) and Cockburnspath (Berwickshire).

This bridge crosses the burn about 150m downstream (towards the NE) from the other four bridges (NT77SE 43, NT77SE 44, NT77SE 45, NT77SE 114 ) in the group.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 25 March 1998.

Activities

Project (2007)

This project was undertaken to input site information listed in 'Civil engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' by R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Publication Account (2007)

This masonry bridge has the appearance of a wedge of masonry pierced by a single lofty but narrow arch over

the burn probably dating from the early-17th century, but with extensive later reconstruction. It was bypassed by through traffic when the New Bridge was opened in 1798.

R Paxton and S Shipway 2007

Reproduce from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission of Thomas Telford Publishers.

Sbc Note

Visibility: Standing structure or monument.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions