Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

West Meikle Pinkerton Farm, Dovecot

Dovecot (17th Century), Windmill (Medieval) - (17th Century)

Site Name West Meikle Pinkerton Farm, Dovecot

Classification Dovecot (17th Century), Windmill (Medieval) - (17th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Doocot; Windmill

Canmore ID 58793

Site Number NT77NW 1

NGR NT 70276 75677

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/58793

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Dunbar
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT77NW 1 70276 75677.

(NT 70276 75677) Dovecot (NR)

OS 6" map (1970)

Dovecot, Meikle Pinkerton: This dovecot, in the garden beside the farm, was extant before 1650. It is of beehive type, 67ft in circumference and 25ft high, with a conical slate roof. The coursed rubble wall, 5ft thick, is partly harled. There are 21 entry holes in a row below the eaves on the S side. In the interior are about 750 stone nests.

J Whitaker 1938; D C Bailey and M C Tindall 1963

This dovecot, as described by the previous authorities, is in a reasonable condition.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 23 March 1966.

Activities

Photographic Survey (September 1960 - 1962)

Photographic survey of dovecots in East Lothian by the Scottish National Buildings Record in 1960-1962.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions