Boundary Wall(S) (Period Unassigned), Country House (Period Unassigned), Gate(S) (Period Unassigned), Gate Pier(S) (Period Unassigned), Hospital (First World War)
Site Name Eccles House
Alternative Name(s) Eccles Auxiliary Hospital
Canmore ID 58540
Site Number NT74SE 28
NGR NT 76378 41142
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
- Council Scottish Borders, The
- Parish Eccles
- Former Region Borders
- Former District Berwickshire
- Former County Berwickshire
Built between 1895 and 1898, Eccles House was designed by the architect Thomas Leadbetter. James Lewis Greig commissioned it as a replacement for an earlier Eccles House, which was situated a short distance to the north.
The house is a two-storeyed structure of sandstone and painted harl with a slated roof that has low, overhanging eaves. It is built in the Scottish seventeenth century revival style, and features both Venetian windows and pedimented windows.
Thomas Leadbetter is thought to have been influenced by the famous architect Sir Robert Lorimer in his design for Eccles House. There are a number of Art Nouveau features within the house, including internal doors and leaded glass decorations on fireplaces.
Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project at http://www.accessingscotlandspast.org.uk
NT74SE 28.00 76378 41142
NT74SE 6.00 7634 4129 St Mary's Convent (remains)
NT74SE 28.01 76126 41324 Lodge
NT74SE 28.02 76268 41320 Walled Garden with Greenhouses
NT74SE 28.03 76284 41372 East Lodge
NT74SE 28.04 76456 41258 The Braw Bothy
NT74SE 28.05 76444 41252 Stablegate Cottage and Stables
NT74SE 28.06 76400 41141 Ancillary Structure
NT74SE 28.07 76351 41287 Summer House
NT74SE 28.08 76113 41330 NW Entrance, Quadrant Walls, Piers, Gate Piers, Gates
NT74SE 28.09 76253 41355 Walled Garden, Lean-to Greenhouse
NT74SE 28.10 76240 41341 Walled Garden, Gabled Greenhouse
ARCHITECT: Thomas Leadbetter c. 1895/6
Plans in possession of Mrs Greig, Edinburgh.
Etching and photographs of etching in possession of Mrs Greig, Yetholm.
Project (March 2013 - September 2013)
A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.
Visibility: This is an upstanding building.
Information from Scottish Borders Council.