Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Fogo Parish Church

Armorial Panel(S) (17th Century), Church (18th Century), Commemorative Stone (Post Medieval), Cross (Medieval)

Site Name Fogo Parish Church

Classification Armorial Panel(S) (17th Century), Church (18th Century), Commemorative Stone (Post Medieval), Cross (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Fogo Kirk

Canmore ID 58486

Site Number NT74NE 5

NGR NT 77257 49196

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/58486

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Fogo
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Berwickshire
  • Former County Berwickshire

Accessing Scotland's Past Project

Fogo Parish Church occupies a picturesque location immediately to the south of the Blackadder Water. The existing building, which was constructed in the seventeenth century, may stand on the site of a much older church founded in the mid-twelfth century.

Built of sandstone masonry, the church was originally a rectangular building, which has been added to over the centuries. A burial aisle was constructed in 1683, and in 1755 a gabled aisle was built to the south, creating a T-plan building. Exterior stairs lead to the Laird's Loft, where wealthier members of the congregation would worship.

The interior of the church retains a number of nineteenth century features, including a hexagonal pulpit and communion tables with doors; designed to keep children and sheepdogs in, and draughts out.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project

Archaeology Notes

NT74NE 5.00 77257 49196

NT74NE 5.01 77251 49169 Churchyard

There was a church at Fogo by the mid-12th century, although the present building, which stands within a roughly pear-shaped burial ground, is largely of 18th century date.

RCAHMS 1980.

Fogo Parish Church - 1755 with 17th century burial aisle; repaired 1817.

G Hay 1957.

Architecture Notes

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Scottish Record Office:

GD/1/651/12

Repair of the Aisle of the Kirk. Payment of the Earl of Marchmont's share of the cost, journal, 1730

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding building.

Information from Scottish Borders Council.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions