Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

West Kelso

Burgh (Medieval)

Site Name West Kelso

Classification Burgh (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Floors Castle Policies; Wester Kelso

Canmore ID 58456

Site Number NT73SW 51

NGR NT 7190 3445

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Kelso
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Roxburgh
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Accessing Scotland's Past Project

Wester Kelso was one of two burghs that later became modern day Kelso. The burgh was located in Lodge Park, probably in the area around the lodge gates. A fire in 1684 destroyed Wester Kelso completely, but the burgh market-cross survived until the late eighteenth century.

Excavations on Roxburgh Street carried out between 1983 and 1985 revealed evidence of a terrace parallel to the street, a sixteenth century corn-drying kiln, and rubbish and quarry pits.

Wester Kelso is first mentioned in 1323 when a special court was convened by the Abbot, their feudal lord, to hear a complaint made against the people of Wester Kelso. It appears that the townspeople had broken the Abbot's laws by creating new burgesses and licensing brewers and stall-holders. According to the record, the affair was resolved when the burgesses' spokesman apologised profusely adding that they intended no offence to their Lord.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project

Archaeology Notes

NT73SW 51 719 343

See also NT73SW 57.

For burgh and town of Kelso (centred NT 72758 33983), see NT73NW 44.

For Floors Castle (NT 71110 34670) and associated buildings, see NT73SW 5.00.

Geophysical survey and trial excavation (at NT 7215 3448) by Borders Burghs Archaeology Project, 1983-5.

(Undated information in NMRS).


Field Visit (1982 - 1988)

The Manpower Services Commission funded Border Burghs Archaeology project (sponsored by Borders Architects Group) carried out excavations in the burghs of the region, created the Sites and Monuments Record for Borders Region and carried out field survey in support, including plane table surveys of selected sites under the direction of Dr Piers Dixon.

Sbc Note

Visibility: This site has been excavated.

Information from Scottish Borders Council


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions