Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Grudie

Field System (Period Unassigned), Hut Circle(S) (Prehistoric)

Site Name Grudie

Classification Field System (Period Unassigned), Hut Circle(S) (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 5845

Site Number NC70NW 1

NGR NC 735 096

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/5845

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Rogart
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes (1964 - 1981)

NC70NW 1 735 096.

(A: NC 7356 0958 & B: 7367 0958) Enclosures (NR)

OS 1:10,000 map, (1970)

A group of from 80 to 100 mounds much larger and more prominent than usual. One, near the north end measures 28ft to 30ft in diameter and about 3ft 6ins in height. Another, lying near by measures 26ft in diameter and from 3ft to 4ft in height. Several more are about the same size. None seem to have been opened. They are overgrown with heather, but large stones which have been used in their construction protrude here and there. Near the south end of the group is a hut-circle of simple type, set into the hillside. The internal diameters are 28ft and 33ft and the entrance is in the ESE through a passage 11ft long. The bank on the east is 7ft thick and on the west 16ft.

Towards the extreme east end of the group is a large circular enclosure 45ft in diameter with a bank 7ft thick and an entrance 6ft wide in the SE.

Source: RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.

Two enclosures, probably those described by the RCAHMS, lie at NC 7356 0958 and NC 7367 0958. The former is oval 13m N-S by 10m transversely; with an entrance in the south. Its heather-covered bank is 3m wide and 0.7m high externally on the NE. The second enclosure is circular 16.4m in diameter with an entrance 2m wide in the SE. Its bank is of earth and stone, 3.5m wide and 0.5m high. The accompanying field clearance heaps are much larger than usual.

Visited by OS (W D J) 16 April 1964.

Along a SW-facing hillside is a settlement of three hut circles (A-C), 'C' newly located at NC 7339 0482 accompanied by a well-preserved field system. The huts are peat and turf-covered and the walls collapsed entrances are in the S or SE, the line of the main axis when applicable.

'A' measures approximately 10.5 by 9.0m across within a wall-spread to 2.5m and up to 0.7m high in the E half, but elsewhere indeterminate.

'B' measures 18.0m diameter over a wall-spread to 2.5m and 0.4m high.

'C', on a shelf, measures 9.5m by 8.5m inside an obscure wall-spread. The field system is denoted by numerous stone clearance heaps spaced on average from 7.0 to 20.0m apart, with occasional traces of lynchets and banks, but 18/19th century strip cultivation has intruded particularly in the region of 'B' where it has also encroached the hut interior. On the ridge above and towards the SE end of the field system are heather-covered remains of a sinuous wall or bank.

Huts A & B - Revised at 1:10,000

Hut C - Surveyed at 1:10,000.

Visited by OS (J M) 8 April 1981.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions