Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Ednam Church

Church (19th Century)

Site Name Ednam Church

Classification Church (19th Century)

Canmore ID 58387

Site Number NT73NW 9

NGR NT 73692 37159

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/58387

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Ednam
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Roxburgh
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Accessing Scotland's Past Project

The site of Ednam parish church has a long history, at least three church buildings having stood here.

An English knight, Thor Longus, built the first church around 1105. He dedicated the church to St Cuthbert and the grant confirming the foundation of the church, issued between 1117 and 1124, is the earliest record of a Scottish parish. This building probably survived until 1523, when it was burnt and destroyed in a Border raid.

The church was rebuilt, but by 1680 was again recorded as ruinous. Another building was then constructed at a different site in the village of Ednam. This building was used until 1802, when yet another church was constructed.

The present church stands on, or at least adjacent to, the original church. It was built in 1802 and substantially renovated in 1902 when a porch was added to the south door. Inside the church is a copy of the charter by which Thor Longus gifted the church to the monks of Durham.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project

Archaeology Notes

NT73NW 9.00 73692 37159

NT37NW 9.01 NT 7371 3717 Building; Burial Enclosure

(NT 7369 3715) The present church at Ednam, built in 1800 and largely recast in 1902, stands roughly in the position of St Cuthbert's Church, which Thor Longus built in or about 1105. It is thought that some part of an earlier building is incorporated in the burial-enclosure of the Edmonstone family which stands at the NE corner of the churchyard. The masonry of this enclosure has all the appearance of 17th century work, but there is nothing to indicate that it was part of a church.

RCAHMS 1956, visited 1937; R L G Ritchie 1954.

RCAHMS confirmed. The burial enclosure (NT73NW 9.01) of the Edmonstone family is at NT 7371 3717.

Ednam church is still in use.

Visited by OS(WDJ) 29 June 1966.

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding building.

Information from Scottish Borders Council.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions