Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

'Auldhame', Seacliff

Lairds House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name 'Auldhame', Seacliff

Classification Lairds House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) St. Baldred's House; Seacliffe

Canmore ID 57846

Site Number NT68SW 1

NGR NT 6023 8462

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/57846

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Whitekirk And Tyninghame
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT68SW 1 6023 8462

(NT 6023 8462) Auldhame (NR) (remains of)

OS 6" map (1969)

St Baldred's House (NR) (In Ruins)

OS 6" map (1908)

For Seacliff House (NT 6081 8431) and associated buildings, see NT68SW 28.

Not to be confused with NT68SW 30.

Auldhame was originally published as St Baldred's House as it was traditionally said to have been the residence of that saint, though other local informants thought that it may have been the remains of a church (see NT68SW 17). However, it is now recognised as a 16th century laird's house (J S Richardson, 7a Tantallon Terrace, N Berwick, 16 December 1952).

The remains, when seen in 1913, consisted of a main block measuring 59ft 9 ins NNW-SSE by 27ft 4 ins transversely; from the E wall two rectangular towers projected to the E and there were circular turrets corbelled out in the northern re-entrant angles. There appeared to have been circular turrets at the N angles of the main block, and outbuildings against the W wall. The building had stood at least three storeys high. The basement, or part of it, has been vaulted and on the first floor was a fragment of a 17th century plaster frieze. The structure was in very bad condition.

Name Book 1853; RCAHMS 1924, visited 1913

The remains of this 16th century house, still in a very poor condition, are generally as described by the RCAHMS. The remains of a wall running WSW from the SW angle of the main block can be seen in two portions of walling still standing to a height of about 3m. The piece of wall nearer the main block contains a rectangular gateway or doorway with moulded jambs; the second piece is located 38m SSE of the SE angle. Also, traces of walling can be seen along the cliff edge between the latter piece of walling and the SE angle of the main block. From this last portion of isolated wall a low stony bank curves W for a distance of some 30m to merge with a modern stone wall. This bank is 2.2m wide and there is evidence of a shallow ditch, 2.5m wide, on its N side. The bank is 0.7m high above the ditch bottom but only 0.1m above the outside ground level.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 13 November 1962

Scheduled as laird's house.

Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 17 February 1993.

Traditionally known as St Baldred's House, identified by 1952 as a lairds house. The remains are in a poor condition. It stands right on the edge of a slope which has little vegetation cover to stabilise it and is therefore vulnerable to erosion.

Site recorded by GUARD during the Coastal Assessment Survey for Historic Scotland, 'The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Coast of Fife' 26th February 1996.

Activities

Field Visit (1853)

Recorded in the Ordnance Survey Object Name Book.

Name Book 1853.

Field Visit (13 November 1962)

The remains of this 16th century house, still in a very poor condition, are generally as described by the RCAHMS. The remains of a wall running WSW from the SW angle of the main block can be seen in two portions of walling still standing to a height of about 3m. The piece of wall nearer the main block contains a rectangular gateway or doorway with moulded jambs; the second piece is located 38m SSE of the SE angle. Also, traces of walling can be seen along the cliff edge between the latter piece of walling and the SE angle of the main block. From this last portion of isolated wall a low stony bank curves W for a distance of some 30m to merge with a modern stone wall. This bank is 2.2m wide and there is evidence of a shallow ditch, 2.5m wide, on its N side. The bank is 0.7m high above the ditch bottom but only 0.1m above the outside ground level.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 13 November 1962

Field Visit (26 February 1996)

Traditionally known as St Baldred's House, identified by 1952 as a lairds house. The remains are in a poor condition. It stands right on the edge of a slope which has little vegetation cover to stabilise it and is therefore vulnerable to erosion.

Site recorded by GUARD during the Coastal Assessment Survey for Historic Scotland, 'The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Coast of Fife' 26th February 1996.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions