Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Whittingehame Tower, Burial Ground Of The Balfour Family

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Site Name Whittingehame Tower, Burial Ground Of The Balfour Family

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Alternative Name(s) Whittingehame House; Balfour Burial Ground

Canmore ID 57825

Site Number NT67SW 3

NGR NT 6020 7330

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/57825

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Whittingehame
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT67SW 3 6020 7330.

(Name centred: NT 6014 7336) Burial Ground (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map (1957)

Previous to the Reformation, at a date unknown, a church was built on the site of what was (in the 1920's) the Balfour burial ground. It stood for at least 250 years in close proximity to the castle of Whittinghame (NT67SW 2).

Trans E Lothian Antiq Fld Natur Soc 1929

On 7th May 1245 David de Berneham (Birman), Bishop of St Andrews, dedicated a stone church at Whittingehame, the site of which was close to the Tower.

M B Lang 1939

The burial ground of the families of Douglas and Seaton of Whittingham and Hay of Drummellzier was in use from 1300 to 1817. A pillar marks the site of the sepulchre.

Name Book 1853

The Burial Ground of the Balfour family is situated at NT 6020 7330. No trace of the pre-Reformation church remains.

Visited by OS (RD) 31 March 1966

Activities

Project (1996 - 2006)

A project recording graveyard monuments within the parish of Traprain.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions