Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Fairy Knowe

Cairn (Period Unassigned), Cinerary Urn, Knife (Flint), Whetstone

Site Name Fairy Knowe

Classification Cairn (Period Unassigned), Cinerary Urn, Knife (Flint), Whetstone

Canmore ID 57804

Site Number NT67SW 10

NGR NT 6260 7484

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/57804

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Stenton (East Lothian)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT67SW 10 6260 7484

(NT 6260 7484) Urn, Flint Knife and Whetstone found AD 1877 (NAT)

OS 6" map (1957).

The site of the 'Fairy Knowe', a cairn about 38ft in diameter and defined by a circle of large boulders from 5 to 15 cwt each. It had been covered by a mound of field-gathered stones 105ft in diameter and up to 14ft high at the centre. The cairn was removed in 1877, at which time a square cist containing an inverted cinerary urn and a short cist containing a flint knife, a whetstone and a piece of skull were found. The finds were presented to the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS EQ 68-70) by Lady Mary C Nisbet Hamilton in 1880.

G Marjoribanks 1880; NMAS 1892; RCAHMS 1924.

The published find-spot falls at the edge of a ploughed-out grass-covered mound, almost certainly all that remains of the 'Fairy Knowe' cairn. The name is not known locally.

Visited by OS (RD), 6 April 1966.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions