Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Biel

Country House (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Biel

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Beil House

Canmore ID 57723

Site Number NT67NW 21

NGR NT 63364 75894

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/57723

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Stenton (East Lothian)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT67NW 21.00 63364 75894

NT67NW 21.01 634 758 Garden

NT67NW 21.02 62735 77529 North Lodge

NT67NW 21.03 622 767 Curling House

NT67NW 21.04 63 75 South Lodge

NT67NW 21.05 63012 76761 North Drive

NT67NW 21.06 6339 7589 Estate

NT67NW 21.07 62755 77538 North Gate piers

NT67NW 21.08 62335 75785 Biel Mill Bridge

NT67NW 21.09 62488 75698 Biel Park Cottage

NT67NW 21.10 63256 76007 North Coach House

NT67NW 21.11 63237 75988 South Coach House

NT67NW 21.12 63261 75990 Roselea

NT67NW 21.13 63337 75888 Chapel

NT67NW 21.14 63487 75886 Service Court, Dairy and Tower

NT67NW 21.15 63462 75884 Service Court, Offices

NT67NW 21.16 63441 75883 Service Court, West Offices

NT67NW 21.17 63430 75892 Service Court, Tower

NT67NW 21.18 63424 75908 Archway

NT67NW 21.19 63384 75918 Kennels

NT67NW 21.20 63193 75877 Summerhouse

NT67NW 21.21 63380 75876 Sundial

NT67NW 25 6384 7582 Dovecot

NT67NW 31 6430 7610 East Lodge

NT67NW 33 6364 7580 Bridge

NT67NW 34 6320 7599 Bielhill

NT67NW 35 6183 7559 Bielgrange farmhouse

NT67NW 36 61785 75547 Bielgrange farm

NT67NW 37 62622 75952 Beesknowe

NT67NW 41 6226 7586 West Lodge

NT67NW 42 6368 7581 Gardener's Cottage

NT67NW 43 6245 7578 Mill Lodge

NT67NW 44 624 757 Mill House

NT67NW 45 624 757 Mill

NT67NW 46 624 757 Mill, cottages

Biel (NAT)

OS 6" map (1971)

Biel House: Embedded in the E end of the present block is an early tower house. About 1760 it was extended to the W, as is clear from the outlines of rusticated voussoirs (subsequently chopped off) over some of the windows on the N (entrance) front. By the end of the 18th century the whole house had been battlemented, but in 1814-8 it became a mere appendage to vast monastic Gothic additions to the E by William Atkinson, who brought its harled exterior into conformity, adding hood-moulds over all the windows. At the W end was a large conservatory, rebuilt in 1883 as an episcopal chapel. Its floor is still in situ, and some fittings were retained when in 1952 the chapel and virtually the whole of Atkinson's house were demolished. Piscina, credence, sacrament house and bellcote have been reset in the walls of what is now a terrace. The house is entered through Atkinson's porch, resited in 1952.

C McWilliam 1978.

Architecture Notes

NT67NW 21.00 63364 75894

NMRS REFERENCE

ARCHITECTS: William Atkinson (additions demolished in 1950s), 1804-12

Wardrop & Reid, 1884-87 - alterations and additions

Duncan & Harkness, 1902-52

Robert Lorimer, 1920 - alterations

Robert Rowand Anderson 1884 (chapel)

Biel Drawings

NMRS Photographic Survey of drawings for Biel House including: designs for additions to Biel by William Atkinson 1806 -1809; designs for Biel Chapel by Wardrop and Anderson 1886; designs for alterations by Robert Lorimer 1920; and many designs for estate buildings.

Copied 1980 Inventory 151

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

National Monuments Record, Swindon:

One early 19th century photograph in the Inigo Thomas album, purchased by NMR, Swindon in 1997.

National Library of Scotland:

'Country Life', 30/08/1902

Scottish Record Office:

Chapel at Biel. Letter from Robert Rowand Anderson (1834-1921), architect, to Miss Nisbet Hamilton.

He accepts her invitation to come to Biel and see the chapel. He wishes to look at it by daylight and by gas light.

1884 GD205/Box 47/Portfolio 17.

[ ] Belfry

Letters (3) from Robert Rowand Anderson (1834-1921), architect, to Miss Nisbet Hamilton at Biel.

He complains that he has visited Rhind and found that Malcolm and Laing have not sent the stone. He asks Miss Nisbet to put pressure on Rhind. Later letters indicate better progress.

1883 GD205/Box 47/Portfolio 17

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions