Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Penshiel Grange

Farmstead (Period Unassigned), Grange (Medieval)

Site Name Penshiel Grange

Classification Farmstead (Period Unassigned), Grange (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Penshiel Tower

Canmore ID 57534

Site Number NT66SW 11

NGR NT 6417 6319

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/57534

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Whittingehame
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT66SW 11 6417 6319.

(NT 6417 6319) Penshiel Tower (NR) (Remains of)

OS 6" map (1957)

Penshiel is the ruin of a vaulted grange which is attached to Melrose Abbey. The main building, measuring 82ft by 25ft externally, is now 10ft high and in a bad state of repair. At the SE corner are the relics of a tower and probably a staircase, while only 5ft of the vaulting remains. There are traces of a courtyard extending 60ft to the south and 147ft to the north of the ruin (although the RCAHMS states that this courtyard is evident on the south side only and measures 61ft by 90ft, enclosed by a wall 3ft thick), with indications of the foundations of walls and buildings to the north. These buildings, of which there are at least two, measuring 49ft by 19ft and 49ft by 24ft respectively, are probably of later date, although Lang (1929) states that the former building, standing about 30 yds north of the wall of the grange, was the chapel. Although Penshiel is referred to in a charter of 1200 the main building described above was probably built in the first half of the 15th century.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1892; RCAHMS 1924.

Generally as described above, although there is little evidence of a tower or stair at the SE corner. The wall of the courtyard on the south side of the main building is now reduced to a turf-covered stony bank and there is evidence of a courtyard on the north side where the remains of a similar wall run from the NW corner of the main building to the SW corner of the small building at NT 6417 6322.

The two buildings on the north side are reduced to foundations and there is little to suggest that either represents the remains of a chapel.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 14 April 1966.

Activities

Field Visit (October 2008 - October 2008)

SRP training survey

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions