Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We have updated our mapping software and are trying out some new background mapping layers. Please let us know what you think by clicking here.

Watch Water Reservoir

Farmstead (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Watch Water Reservoir

Classification Farmstead (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Old Scarlaw Cottage

Canmore ID 57413

Site Number NT65NE 8

NGR NT 6580 5673

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Longformacus
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Berwickshire
  • Former County Berwickshire

Archaeology Notes

NT65NE 8 6580 5673

(NT 6579 5673) Peel Tower (NR) (Ruins)

OS 6" map, (1957)

In the west gable of Old Scarlaw Cottage may be seen the springing of the vaulting of the lower storey of the Scarlaw Peel, now demolished.


Old Scarlaw has been demolished, only the foundations remaining. On the west wall of what was once Scarlaw Cottage are several very large stones and what was once the NE wall (2m thick) of the tower can be traced for some 8m, being 0.5m high.

Visited by OS (JD) 6 May 1955

All that remains of this tower is the North angle and a stretch of the NE and NW walls. The NE wall of the tower formed the west gable of the old building 'Old Scarlaw', now demolished. The walls of the tower now barely protrude above the grass and are about 1.3m wide and about 0.4m high.

Revised at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (WDJ), 30 October 1963

NT 6580 5673. The sub-divided turf-covered foundations of the cottage (which was 13.0m by 5.0m) are extant. There is now no surface evidence to indicate that the foundations at the west end of the cottage are the remains of the tower. Large boulders are incorporated in the thick wall footings but there is no trace of cut stone.

Visited by OS (MJF), 21 May 1979

A farmstead named Old Scarlaw, comprising two unroofed buildings and two enclosures, one of which is marked by pecked lines, is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Berwickshire 1862, sheet xv). One unroofed building annotated Tower (remains of) is shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1982).

Information from RCAHMS (SAH), 20 September 2000.


Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding earthwork or monument.

Information from Scottish Borders Council


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions