Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Mertoun, Church

Architectural Fragment, Church (17th Century), Inscribed Stone (17th Century), War Memorial (20th Century)

Site Name Mertoun, Church

Classification Architectural Fragment, Church (17th Century), Inscribed Stone (17th Century), War Memorial (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Mertoun Parish Church: War Memorial Roll Of Honour

Canmore ID 57277

Site Number NT63SW 9

NGR NT 61552 31821

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/57277

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Mertoun
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Berwickshire

Archaeology Notes

NT63SW 9 6155 3181.

(NT 6155 3181) Church (NAT).

OS 6" map, Roxburghshire, 2nd ed.,(1909).

Mertoun Parish Church, built in 1658 AD, was repaired in 1820 and restored in 1898. Above the east door in the south wall is cut the date 'IVLIE 1658' which is copied from the original stone inserted above a door on the west side of the north wing. Into the east wall of the wing has been built a stone about 1ft long by 6 or 8ins deep, whose exposed surface is carved with plain interlacing ornament.

RCAHMS 1915; J Robson 1896.

Architecture Notes

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Scottish Record Office

Proposal to have Capt. Hewitt's new seat to complete the pews and to have them all painted. The Minister and Elder's seats are to be floored. Letter to Hugh Scott of Harden.

1789 GD 181/2321/2

Repair of Kirk. Receipt of Lord Harden's share.

1736 GD 157/779

Activities

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

Sbc Note

Visibility: Standing structure or monument.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions