Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Jedburgh, Stone Hill

Tower House (Medieval)(Possible)

Site Name Jedburgh, Stone Hill

Classification Tower House (Medieval)(Possible)

Canmore ID 57026

Site Number NT62SE 18

NGR NT 6536 2083

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/57026

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Jedburgh
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Roxburgh
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Archaeology Notes

NT62SE 18 6536 2083.

(NT 6536 2083) Tower (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map, (1938).

An old keep or tower stood on the summit of Stone Hill. Its foundation was removed about 1852. The walls were from six to seven feet in thickness. It is supposed to have belonged to the Kers of Ferniehurst.

Name Book 1859.

No further information. The site occupies a commanding position on top of Stone Hill.

Visited by OS (EGC) 7 January 1963.

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: This was the site of an archaeological monument, which may no longer be visible.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions