Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lillards Edge, Monteath Mausoleum

Mausoleum (19th Century)

Site Name Lillards Edge, Monteath Mausoleum

Classification Mausoleum (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Douglas Mausoleum; Menteith Monument; Ancrum Mausoleum

Canmore ID 56983

Site Number NT62NW 23

NGR NT 61275 26830

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/56983

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Ancrum
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Roxburgh
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Architecture Notes

NT62NW 23 61275 26830

NMRS REFERENCE

Architect: Peddie and Kinnear.

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

SOUTHERN REPORTER

Ancrum Mausoleum is in course of erection on the Ancrum Estate solely for the use of General Monteath Douglas of Stonebyres. Sited on Lillards Edge, a little to the west of Jedburgh Turnpike. A chamber 16 feet square is excavated out of the rock, lined with ashlars and reached through an arched doorway from which massive abutments reach out. The top of the chamber is level with the highest point of the ridge. The ornamental part of the structure is carried to a height of 50 feet. The contractor was Mr Harkness, builder, Hawick. It is to be finished by Midsummer.

16/03/1865

(General Sir Thomas Monteath Douglas K.C.B. (1787-1868) married the only surviving daughter of Sir William Monteath Scott of Ancrum.)

Site Management (7 September 2009)

Square-plan, symmetrical, Neo-Byzantine domed mausoleum with 4 Ionic pilasters recessed between channelled quoins supporting semi-circular pediments to each elevation and set into steeply sloping ground with entrance in exposed basement to N. Polished yellow ashlar sandstone; coursed bull-faced sandstone to basement. 3-step base to each elevation; dentilled eaves cornice continuing over pediments. 2-leaf studded and panelled timber door, recessed in deep ashlar architrave at basement; inscribed panel above. Curved abutments flanking basement wall terminated by plinths supporting recumbent lions, lion to the left awake, lion to right asleep. Douglas coat of arms set into N pediment. Cross-finialled dome pierced with glazed stars.

The Monteath Douglas Mausoleum is both a striking piece of architecture and a prominent landmark, set on high ground on Gersit Law and can be seen from several miles away in all directions. It is very finely detailed and an excellent example of the work of Peddie & Kinnear at this time. A similar star-studded dome had been used by the practice on the dome of the Royal Bank of Scotland building in Andrew Square, Edinburgh a few years earlier. (Historic Environment Scotland List Entry)

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: Standing structure or monument.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions