Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Balgone House

Country House (Post Medieval)

Site Name Balgone House

Classification Country House (Post Medieval)

Canmore ID 56691

Site Number NT58SE 26

NGR NT 56685 82361

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/56691

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish North Berwick
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes (1958 - 1981)

NT58SE 26.00 56652 82361

NT58SE 26.01 56619 82372 Coachhouse (North Pavillion)

NT58SE 26.02 56646 82327 South House (South Pavillion)

(NT 5665 8235) Balgone House (NAT)

OS 6" map (1968)

Balgone House 'in former times presented the usual architectural proportions of a Scottish mansion of the 17th century, but it has recently been considerably improved'.

J Small 1883

Externally this building is entirely modern in appearance but it is probable that, inside, some 17th century work is incorporated. There are no records available regarding the house (Miss E Grant-Suttie, Balgone House).

Visited by OS (WDJ) 15 November 1962

Balgone House: An accumulation of the 17th-19th centuries. It began with the L-shaped 17th century part at the S end. This was lengthened about 1700, and the polygonal stair-turret duplicated so that the main (W) front became symmetrical. At the same time it was given the two storey piend-roofed pavilions with quadrant links. Finally, about 1860, the wall between the turrets was pushed out flush with their faces on both levels, the turrets themselves were crowned with balustrades, and a baronial wing was added at the NE.

C McWilliam 1978

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE

Owner: Sir George Philip Grant-Suttie

Survey 1989 by Marcus Dean.

Activities

Photographic Survey (August 1965 - November 1965)

Photographic survey by the Scottish National Buildings Record/Ministry of Works in 1965.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions