Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Haddington, 27 Sidegate Street, Haddington House

House (18th Century)

Site Name Haddington, 27 Sidegate Street, Haddington House

Classification House (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Lamp Of Lothian Collegiate Centre

Canmore ID 56533

Site Number NT57SW 43

NGR NT 51740 73720

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/56533

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Haddington
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT57SW 43 51740 73720

For Garden see NT57SW 36

(NT 5174 7371) Haddington House, which was the residence of the Lauderdale Maitlands, is the oldest house standing in the burgh. Rubble-built in the 17th century, it has a slate roof and crow-stepped gables. It is three storeys high, with a turret stair and front porch.

R Gourlay and A Turner 1977; SDD List 1961; RCAHMS 1924, visited 1913

Though the stair and doorway of Haddington House bear the initials of Alexander Maitland and his wife Katherine Cunninghame with the date 1680, the rear view shows that this is a somewhat earlier 17th century house, L-planned with a octagonal stair-turret in the angle. About 1800 a bowed fillet was inserted between the turret and the S jamb, and the street front extended with a single-storey wing. The house was restored in 1969 as the headquarters of the Lamp of Lothian Collegiate Centre.

C McWilliam 1978

Activities

Publication Account (1978)

Haddington House which was the residence of the Lauderdale Maitlands, is the oldest house standing in the burgh.

Information from ‘Historic Haddington: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1978).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions